Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Steal Like An Artist

Talk about your first impressions of the textbook

My first impression of the textbook was that its got a unique shape. It also has a unique overall design. It uses many interesting contrasting images, text, and illustrations. It gets its point across pretty well and from reading the first chapter I can tell that it includes very good information.

How do you feel about stealing other people's ideas? Is this legal? Is this moral?

I think stealing peoples ideas is a must in graphic design. I think its important to be able to steal from other designers in order to draw inspiration from them. I think it should be legal to an extent. You cant completely steal someones idea but you can steal bits and pieces and design something similar or better. All creative work starts from somewhere and each work builds on what came before.

Isn't originality valued in art? How can you be more original?

Originality in art is valued, however, rarely anything is original anymore. Everything is a mixture of something that was once original. Its so hard to develop something original but I think the best possible way to take various ideas and combine them into your own unique style.

How can you be a better collector? Where do you stash your non-digital collection so that you can access them later?

You can be a better collector by actually collecting stuff and having a spot to put them in for future use. I don't really have a non-digital collection but I think they can be important for future inspiration.

Where do you stash your Internet links? If you're not using a cloud-based bookmarking app, start now and share your stash of links. 

I have a digital collection though. I bookmark things on Pinterest that I think might be important to look back on. I also have a folder on my laptop where I save screenshots of designs.


Creative Typography | Pinterest

Choose a thinker as a mentor for this semester and begin studying him/her. Start by posting a sample of your mentor's work.

A designer I really look up to is Herb Lubalin. His work with type is so creative and has played a big impact in typography in the modern day.



Which is your favorite quote from this chapter? Why?

My favorite quote from chapter 1 is David Bowie's "The only art I'll ever study is stuff that I can steal from." The quote is so true to me. I don't really like to keep art that I wont be able to use and take inspiration from later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment